Please make a selection.
Create New Account Submit
Please make a selection.

Future JD Students

Requesting Transcripts

After you register for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS), you must have a separate transcript sent to LSAC directly from each undergraduate and graduate institution you attended in the United States, its territories/associated states, or Canada. Applicants are advised to wait until they have completed at least six semesters of undergraduate work before requesting transcripts.

Unless your school uses the National Student Clearinghouse, Credentials Solutions, or Scrip-Safe electronic transcript transfer service, you must use LSAC’s Transcript Request Forms.

How to Access Your Transcript Request Forms

Your Transcript Request Forms will be generated in your LSAC.org account, but only after you register with CAS. To generate your forms, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to your LSAC.org account.
  2. On your homepage, click the “Add or Submit Institutions” link found beneath the “Credential Assembly Service (CAS)” heading.
  3. For any institutions that are already listed, click Edit to complete your information.
  4. Add any additional institutions that you have attended.
  5. Once you have entered all of your institution information, scroll down to the bottom of the My Institutions Attended page and click Continue.
  6. Review your information to ensure that it is accurate. Then hit Confirm.
  7. Visit the “Transcripts” page of your account. A Transcript Request Form link will be listed below each institution. Click these links to access your forms. (It may take a few minutes for the forms to generate in your account.)

Having Transcripts Sent

Please Note

LSAC’s address will be listed on your Transcript Request Forms.

Transcripts issued to you or sent by you will not be processed. It is your responsibility to request an official copy of all required transcripts to be sent to LSAC directly from the registrar’s office of each institution or from one of the approved electronic transcript transfer sources. The address to which your transcripts must be sent will be printed on your Transcript Request Forms. You need not worry about an address when using one of the electronic services.

Transcripts will not be accepted via email.

Most institutions charge a fee for forwarding transcripts.

LSAC will process your transcripts within two weeks of the date that they are received.

Updating Your Transcript Information

You should have official transcripts sent for any additional academic work completed after your initial Credential Assembly Service Law School Reports have been forwarded. This information will be incorporated into your file and updated transcript reports will be sent to the law schools as long as their reporting term is still current.

Required Transcripts

Law schools require you to send all transcripts from the following institutions you may have attended:

  • community colleges
  • undergraduate and graduate institutions
  • law/medical/professional institutions
  • institutions attended for summer or evening courses
  • institutions attended even though a degree was never received
  • institutions from which you took college-level courses while in high school even though they were for high school credit
  • institutions that clearly sponsored your overseas study. Clear sponsorship means
    • the courses received the sponsoring institution’s academic credit (not transfer credit)
    • the course codes, titles, credits earned, and grades appear on the sponsoring institution’s transcript. Typically, these grades and credits are included in the sponsoring institution’s cumulative GPA. The courses are often administered and taught by the sponsoring institution’s faculty at an overseas institution.
  • international transcripts, if applicable

A copy of these transcripts, along with a summarization of all undergraduate work, will be forwarded with the law school report to the law schools to which you apply. Transcripts representing work completed after the first four-year undergraduate degree (considered graduate work by LSAC) will not be summarized, but copies will be sent with the law school report. This includes law school/professional school work. Work done at a graduate/law/professional school prior to the granting of a four-year undergraduate degree will be included in the academic summary as undergraduate work.

Transcripts must be sent from institutions even if

  • credit was transferred from an institution and it appears on another institution’s transcript;
  • the institution is closed;
    (These transcripts are usually maintained by the department of higher education or by another school in the state in which the school was located, so you will need to contact the state’s department of higher education. For international transcripts, contact the Ministry of Education in the country where the school was located.)
  • “withdraw,” “incomplete,” etc., are the only grades listed; or
  • you have just enrolled.
    (Request that the registrar’s office send a transcript of courses “in progress” or a statement of current enrollment. The document must bear the official registrar’s seal.)

Transfer Credit

Work that appears as transfer credit on the sponsoring institution’s transcript has not been completed under the clear sponsorship of the institution. It may still be referred to as the institution’s exchange program, study-abroad program, or consortium work. However, grades received in courses transferred from other institutions are typically not reported on the sponsoring institution’s transcript, nor included in the sponsoring institution’s GPA. They simply contribute credit toward a degree or elective requirement, assuming a grade of C or better was attained. Grades of C- and below typically do not transfer.

Interinstitutional Programs

The undergraduate work on your bachelor’s degree-granting institution transcript may include grades and credits earned through an interinstitutional agreement (e.g., cooperative, exchange, consortium, etc.). If your home school transcript clearly indicates that the coursework was completed through this type of program, and course codes, titles, grades, and credits earned appear on the home transcript and are included in the GPA, you need not list or request a separate transcript from the interinstitutional school attended. In these cases, your home school treats the coursework as if it were its own. This is not transfer credit. Consequently, the grades and credits will be summarized under the home school.

Inability to Obtain Transcripts

If you are unable to obtain transcripts from an institution due to a financial obligation, you must indicate this when registering for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS). If the institution is the only undergraduate institution you attended, or if you have attended multiple undergraduate institutions and have outstanding financial obligations with all of them, a CAS Law School Report cannot be produced for you.

If you attended an institution outside the United States, its territories/associated states, or Canada, and you have outstanding financial obligations with one or more of them, a CAS Law School Report cannot be produced for you.

Please Note

LLM degree applicants should go to the LLM Credential Assembly Service page.

Was this page helpful? Yes No

Why not? (Provide additional feedback below. NOTE: If you have a question or concern regarding your specific circumstances, please go to the Contact Us page.)

Please enter a comment.

Thank you for your feedback.

Why not? (Provide additional feedback below. NOTE: If you have a question or concern regarding your specific circumstances, please go to the Contact Us page.)

This is the page where the feedback was left.
Please do not enter data into this text box. This is a test to reject non-human form submissions.